If you haven’t had a chance to visit 138 Tower Park, also known as one of the 13 Kiso Sansen parks, you are really missing something. The park has a large rose garden as well as a wide grassy park where kids can wander and play. As the name suggests it is dominated by the Twin Arch 138 which was built as the main park facility. Two hyperbolic arches of different heights and a central elevator shaft symbolize the majestic flow of the 3 Kiso Rivers. The highest point of the tower is 138 meters, in honor of Ichinomiya City (138 may be read in Japanese as ichi-(no)-mi-ya). Get it! In winter the park has become very popular for the impressive illuminations consisting of around 300,000 lights in addition to fireworks displays.
To make this year’s illumination event more fun and participatory they have set up a crowd funding website. Those who participate can get tickets to the violin & piano concerts and admission tickets and access to the scenic lookout floor in the tower.
Crowd funding participants will also get special glowing wrist bands. There will be a special area set up for those that supported the crowd funding effort and you can toss your glowing wrist band into a pond decorated with illumination lights. As you throw the wrist band you make a wish like you do at shrines, then the illumination lights respond to your wish. It’s magical but you won’t know what happens until you throw your band into the pond! The more people that do this, the brighter the pond gets due to the wristbands and the special illumination lights.
The wristbands celebrate this year’s theme “Ring ~ A Sparkling Tomorrow”. Rings bond people together and if a ring of people gets bigger, it breathes life into a community. The main purpose of this illumination event is to connect people with others, making it a special night to remember.
If you’d like to participate in the crowdfunding part of the event simply go to the website and choose one of the following options that you would like.
- One admission ticket to the scenic lookout floor and 5 glowing bands for ¥1,500
- Two admission tickets to the scenic lookout floor and 5 glowing bands for ¥2,000
- One ticket to the violin & piano concert for Nov 12 at 20:00 and one admission ticket to the scenic lookout floor and 5 glowing bands for ¥2,800
- One ticket to the violin & piano concert for Nov 12 at 18:30 and one admission ticket to the scenic lookout floor and 5 glowing bands for ¥2,800
* The special concert is held in the sky lounge in the tower where you can enjoy beautiful night views of the city and illumination in the park. And the concerts will be performed by violinist Shoko Yasuda and pianist Minatsu Kanazawa who are both from Nagoya and perform regularly in the Tokai area.
The concerts are only limited to 20 people at a time.
Sunday Nov. 12
from 18:30 and 20:00
*Concerts last about 30 min.
For more information on the crowd funding aspect of the illuminations go to the crowd funding web site:
(The closing date is Oct 22)
On facebook: www.facebook.com/121602378571240/
November 11 to December 25
17:00~22:00 Sat, Sun and public holidays
In 2018, Jan 1,2,3,6-28
on Sat, Sun and public holidays 17:00~21:00